> Gooseys Gabbings-The World of Weird Bizarre and Odd News
 
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
"Senior" officer not just a moniker; Oldest CEO turns 106

Jack A. Weil, the founder and chief executive of Denver-based Rockmount Ranch Wear, is believed to be the nation's oldest CEO.

He turns 106 today.

Credited with introducing snap buttons on Western shirts, Weil's slim-fitting shirts have been worn by luminaries including Ronald Reagan, Elvis Presley and Eric Clapton.

"We hit on something that interested people," said Weil, speaking from the company's retail outlet and offices at 1626 Wazee St. in downtown Denver. "It was the attraction of the Rocky Mountains."

Weil's grandson Steve heads daily operations of the manufacturing company, which sells internationally.

Weil has learned a thing or two about life and business during his more than 10 decades. Here are some nuggets of wisdom from "Papa Jack."

On making a good Western shirt: "A crummy shirt fits like a sack. The other is a form-fitting shirt, which is what I figured to make."

On building a successful business: "You've got to consider the environment, and you've got to consider the times. I learned a long time ago that I don't want anyone to give me more than 5 percent of my business. Because if I lose them, that would put too much pressure on (the company)."

On dealing with overdue customers: "I suggest that they send me three or four checks post-dated. Not too many (business) people do that. You have to understand your customers' problems."

On working every day: "What the heck else would I do?"

On opening a retail store: "We went into retail to stay in business. Wal-Mart has put a lot of independent merchants out of business. The wholesalers are nearly gone. But it might be better for the consumer."

On doing business with the founder of retailer J.C. Penney: "I sold Penney some of his first shirts. James Cash Penney was a country boy out of Missouri. He was a smart guy."

On money and politics: "I've always felt that a young man worth his salt is a Democrat until he makes a little money. And if he wants to save that money, he becomes a Republican."

On marrying well: "I guess I didn't know any better. I married a country girl, but she was a smarty." (His wife, Beatrice, died in 1990.)

On drinking whiskey: "I drink for medicinal purposes. I take a shot of Jack Daniel's about twice a week to keep my blood thin."

Goosey's Gabbings...

The sad thing is, when this guy actually retires--he may not have any Social Security..even though he qualified for it when the Beatles first hit the Ed Sullivan show...

technorati tags:, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Blogged with Flock

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Tim
Home: Noblesville, IN, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile


Subscribe to my feed

Google
Other stories, news, and commentary
Archives
Links

    Add to Technorati Favorites
    Blogarama - The Blog Directory
    Globe of Blogs
    KMAX Blog Links


    Webfeed (RSS/ATOM/RDF) registered at http://www.feeds4all.com
    RSS
    nfeeds.com
    Humor blogs
    Entertainment Blogs - Blog Top Sites
    Blog Directory Submit
    Link With Us - Web Directory
    Romow Web Directory


    Directory of Entertainment Blogs


    Feed Shark

Template By
Free Blogger Templates